MAKE THESE HOME MAINTENANCE CHECKS EVERY SPRING
Spring is officially here and for most that means Spring Cleaning! Check out these tips on places you may not consider during your annual routine.
1. Roof and chimney. Replace damaged shingles or roof tiles and repair flashing around vents, skylights, and chimneys. If your roof is older, start saving money to replace it. Clean roof if any mold is visible. Examine the chimney exterior for damage and have the flue cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep.
2. Gutters and downspouts. Repair loose or leaky gutters and make sure downspouts are clear and drain away from the foundation.
3. Siding, brick, stucco. Pressure-wash siding to keep mold from growing. If wood is visible, sand and prime before painting. Scrape peeling paint and sand before painting. Check bricks and stucco for chipping and bad mortar. Repair or seal with an appropriate sealant.
4. Decks, driveways, fences. Pressure wash these too, and look for cracks and other damage that needs to be repaired.
5. Exterior caulking. Inspect seals around windows, doors, and other openings and scrape and re-caulk if deteriorating. Check window and door sills and thresholds for cracks, caulk edges and repaint or replace as necessary.
6. Screens. Clean window and door screens and patch holes or replace screening. Repair damaged frames and repaint. Replace broken hardware. Tighten and lubricate door hinges and closers.
7. Hot water heater. Open the spigot near the bottom to drain out sediment that builds up. This will lengthen the water heater's life and cut your energy bill.
8. AC compressor. This needs good airflow to work efficiently, so clear any plant growth blocking it.