What is Phishing?
Phishing is a form of identity theft that attempts to trick you into divulging personal information through email or a phone call. Phishing emails typically look like they came directly from a company or organization that you trust. Phishing email sources vary from your bank or credit card company and even include services like eBay.
The email will ask you to update, validate, or confirm your account in some way. When you click the link, you are taken to a website that looks just like a legitimate website from the company represented.
If you fill out the form, giving your name, social security number, date of birth, credit card numbers, or other personal information, the scammer will use that to steal your identity, run up bills, or commit crimes in your name.
Here are 6 things you can do to protect yourself:
1. If you receive a phishing email, don’t reply or click any links! Even if it looks legitimate, no company will ask for this kind of information through email.
2. Area codes can be misleading. If the email contains a local phone number or you receive a call, don’t give any information. Always call the phone number listed on the back of your credit card or on the company website.
3. Use anti-virus and anti-spyware software and update it regularly. This will help prevent spam email and viruses from ever reaching you.
4. Don’t email any personal or financial information. Email is not secure and not a recommended way to transfer sensitive information.
5. Review your credit card and bank account statements as soon as you receive them. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, make a phone call to the company right away.
6. Forward any spam phishing attempt to the company or organization being impersonated. Also let them know of any suspicious phone calls.
All of these actions will help prevent you from becoming a victim of identity theft. If you ever suspect a phishing attempt or receive a suspicious call from Crockett National Bank about the status of your debit card, please hang up and call us back immediately. Find our contact information on our Contact Us page.